An old wired article:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/6.11/coldfusion_pr.html

has some interesting comments with regard to Claytor's work, which apparently also included ordinary electrolysis.

"I had a number of theorists backing me, because they were familiar with the limitations of hot fusion theory. They knew that not everything was known."

"This was our last large experimental thrust. We learned that certain palladium alloys would work part of the time, and the one that worked best was most complicated, with four different constituents. Also, we found that only very small fractions of the palladium seem active. Whenever we see a little dot where palladium evaporates off the sample, we get positive results. These dots are probably about 50 to 70 microns, they evaporate leaving a hole of 120 microns, and that's where it stops."

"From what I've seen," he says, sounding very diplomatic, "there are a number of people who approve of the research in Washington, DC - and a number who disapprove."

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/