Good morning, everyone.

Robin makes an astute observation: layers of hierarchy are also past of the
problem.

The best solution that we have been able to find is decentralization of
large organizations, but decentralization with several sub-principles.

1. Each unit within the organization must have all the functions required
for autonomous operation. (Overhead services can be shared among units too
small to afford stand-alone services, with the shared services proportioned
out per agreement among the units and those proportions under the management
authority of each unit. This way the shared services cannot play one unit
against another.)

2. Each unit is guided by a specified set of sensory specific outcomes
negotiated with senior management; these outcomes are provided with explicit
resource allocation agreements, with which the unit then operates to achieve
the outcomes. After these agreements have been made, senior management goes
away and lets the unit perform.

3. Each unit is free to negotiate with any other unit at any level within
the organization for operational cooperation, agreements reached voluntarily
by all.

4. Senior management is reintroduced into the situation upon request of any
of the units, or if the overall position of the organization itself
undergoes some change that requires it to renegotiate with its units. Such
changes include market shifts, financing shifts, technological intelligence,
etc.

Well, there is a lot more to this, but this is the gist....

What do you think?

Lawrence