Stephen,

> However, remote sensing can't "see" high temperatures through an opaque
mass of debris.  At wavelengths emitted by very hot objects, which are
in the visible band, it can only read the *surface* temperature.

Yes.... but... Here is a page with a tiny version of the same or a similar
image (second one down the page).

http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a091601hotspots

My question is this: from the surface temperature which is indicated from
space, which as you say is NOT the true peak temperature in the pool - but
could that peak temp be computed backwards in time, since we know the days
which have lapsed, and the approximate size of the pool, the approximate
conductivity of the debris etc.and can plug in the other constants  ??

Plus, since you can see from the color of the hot debris in the claw (first
image) which has been shedding heat for hundreds of hours, all of these things
can be input for a meaningul  simulation (assuming that you have nothing to
hide) ... and not an imaginary simulation which was limited by the NIST
contract terms so as to be effectively meaningless...

... anyway if you are going to do a computer simulation, why not also simulate
the original heat content of that debris on the day of the disaster. That would
be doable, no?