Jones Beene wrote:
> [...]

This would probably have been the evidence from NASA.

However, remote sensing can't "see" high temperatures through an opaque
mass of debris.  At wavelengths emitted by very hot objects, which are
in the visible band, it can only read the *surface* temperature.  The
(visible light) radiation from the surface depends entirely on the
temperature of the surface.

The surface temperature of any reasonably dark-colored (and reasonably
hot) solid object can be determined easily just by looking at the color
at which it's glowing.  If the debris looked like it was at, say, 2,000
degrees when viewed from orbit, then people on the ground would have
noticed that it was glowing yellow-hot.  We wouldn't have needed a
satellite photo to tell us that.

Longer wavelengths, which penetrate the pile (and which are not visible
to ordinary eyes and cameras on-site) can indicate the presence of
significant heat.  They can tell how fast the pile is leaking heat to
the surroundings, which won't be obvious to people on the ground.  But
they can't tell you the exact temperature of the inside of the pile.  A
pile with a 3,000 degree hotspot buried under, say, 50 feet of concrete
is going to look very similar to a pile with a hotspot of 300 degrees
which is lying just under the surface.  Consequently, AFAIK, it's
impossible for the NASA remote sensing data to provide anything
conclusive with regard to the presence or absence of melted steel deep
within the pile.

Another example of this effect is provided by the Sun.  Its color is
about right for something at a few thousand degrees Kelvin -- because
that's the temperature of its *surface*.  However, its core temperature
is up in the multi-million degree range; we just can't see it, and we
only "know" it's that hot inside because our stellar models tell us so.
 (If someone magically stripped away the photosphere and left the bare
core we'd presumably all be incinerated ... and then we still wouldn't
be able to measure the core temperature directly, come to think of it,
since we'd be dead.)

> The details of this are foggy, and a quick googling has not located it -
> but if I am not mistaken those thermal-images are color coded so that if
> there was a pool of molten metal, then the image would probably give you
> an accurate surface temperature of the pool as seen from space - and
> from that, it should be possible to deduce the internal temperature
> (under the slag which forms on the surface of molten metal) based on how
> long it had been there.
>
> Hey - isn't this EXACTLY what our tax dollars were paying NIST to do ?
> instead of a funky computer simulation.

Actually, for most complex processes a computer simulation is the only
way you'll ever unravel the details.

That's why the government spends so much moolah on huge computers.  See,
just for laughs:

https://computing.llnl.gov/?set=resources&page=index

These monsters run simulations.  That's *all* they do (well, except for
crash, and run debugging tools to find out why they're crashing, and
that kind of thing).

What's more, the ones on the "OCF" list (Open Computing Facility) don't
simulate anything that goes "bang".  Rather, they're used simulating
everything from weather to protein folding.  If it's complicated, then
the modern answer to understanding it is ... run a simulation.

The ones on the "SCF" list (Secure Computing Facility) are used for more
nefarious purposes, and if you look at the processor and node counts,
some of them look like typographical errors.  They're not.  Things that
go "bang" are very, very hard to simulate.  (You may draw your own
conclusions about what this suggests regarding the WTC simulations --
anybody know what kind of machine was used?)