Rick Monteverde wrote:

>> No responsible fossil fuel industry experts or decision-makers disagree
with these laws.

So oil industry experts and decision makers agree with the offshore drilling
ban, for instance?

Well, they say they do. Anyway, they are not running out of places to drill. This is not a problem at all.

They have many offshore leases in the areas now open to them which they have not even tried exploiting yet. They say this is because there are other places where oil can be extracted more cheaply. I assume they are telling the truth.

You have to realize, no one in the oil industry is raising a ruckus about offshore drilling or yelling "drill here till now." That is being done only by McCain and the Republican party, as a stunt. If the oil industry had wanted those limits changed it would have pushed through a law changing them years ago. The oil industry has enormous influence in Congress, to say the very least.

Do they agree with this new phony-Pelosi drill-'em-where-they-aint law?

This is nonsense. As I said there are huge unexploited resources in areas presently opened to drilling. However, they are expensive to explore and extract. The areas closer to shore would not be any less expensive or risky. The water is not much deeper and conditions at sea are about the same.

I cannot understand why the Republicans and McCain are so anxious to use up remaining US oil reserves. Based on graphs of North Sea production, this could be done in about 10 or 20 years, but I think it would be foolish to exploit all remaining US resources when we can extract oil in Saudi Arabia, Canada, Mexico and elsewhere at a lower cost. I think it would be a bad idea for us to drain every last barrel of our own oil leaving us 100% dependent upon other countries in a few years, rather than a few decades. It is better to use up our remaining resources slowly -- to stretch them out.

Or do they agree that the permits they apply for regarding refinery construction or upgrades . . .

The industry has upgraded and increased the capacity of existing oil refineries. The government is always granted these applications. The industry has not applied to build any new refineries in recent decades because, as I mentioned, US consumption has barely increased since the 1970s. Why would they want to build refineries they do not need? What would be the point? Who told you they want new refineries? You need only glance at the curve of consumption to see they do not need additional refining capacity.

You seem to believe some widespread propaganda regarding oil and energy. I suggest you read some books about the subject written by experts who have no political agenda, such as Deffeyes. Also, I suggest you spend some time reviewing the data at the Energy Information Administration:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/

This is gold-plated accurate information, straight from top-notch industry sources. US major industry has many faults, but lying about industry statistics is not among them. This was noted as long ago as the 19th century. US heavy industry has always reported accurate information because it is in everyone's best interest.