Ron Wormus wrote:

. . . a single sentence of thirty-two words, but it represents a significant consolidation of power and an abdication of oversight authority that's so flat-out astounding that it ought to set one's hair on fire. It reads, in its entirety:

"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Many people have noticed this! I doubt it will be included in the final bill.

The measure will run up the budget deficit by a significant amount, with no guarantee of recouping the outlay . . .

Well, it won't be entirely lost, even in the worst case. The properties are worth something. I think the worst are worth perhaps half or one-tenth as much as their present value. The taxpayers are likely to lose $200 billion or so, I think.

In some previous bailouts, such the Chrysler bailout, the government ended up making money. Bailouts are still a bad idea in my opinion, but people should realize that the entire amount is not at risk. Some undefinable fraction of it is.