I guess you'd make a great Chinese citizen.

-----Original Message-----
From: Edmund Storms [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26 September 2008 19:48
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Cc: Edmund Storms
Subject: Re: [Vo]:OFF TOPIC News of the bailout

On Sep 26, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Remi Cornwall wrote:

> Ed: what you say sounds cynical and jaded.

I suppose it does to someone who believes in the ideal function of
government. However, if you examine the actual behavior, you will find
that the number of laws always grow in number and complexity. The tax
laws are a good example. This may not be what people want to hear but
it is a fact. Some of this growth takes placed because conditions
change and new laws are required to control the technology. At the
same time, industry works very hard to protect and enlarge its self
interest.  Most people have no idea what laws and rules exist until
they are subjected to the legal system.  In addition, the government
works hard to hide many laws that benefit certain industries or
individuals. Personally, I would rather accept how the system actually
operates rather than be surprised because I have an "ideal"
understanding of what I wish were true.

Ed

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters/361711/john_mccain_the_ghost_