This is what a colleague at QMUL said:

>Remi,
>in compressed in air engines regenerative braking is usually considered to
>be best achieved by compressing air into a seperate (small) tank. Obviously
>this also causes some heating - but the main advantage is that it allows
>the extra energy to be used when required - ie when accelerating (much
>harder with heat energy). Also - I think it would be difficult to utilise
>heat from braking to keep the engine at a stable temperature, as this would
>mean that when the driver is not braking sufficiently to meet the design
>point, the engine would freeze up.
>Thanks though - always on the lookout for new ideas.
>H.

I think it is so simple that he is slightly missing the point too. He is
talking about a continuous run where the engine and tank have reached a
stable temperature (covered in ice and below ambient). N2(l) engines (what
he does) use a 'fuel' injector approach into the cylinder and mix it with
air. I'm not sure they dehumidify or just spew out fine ice in the exhaust.
I'm not sure what toll fine ice grit takes on the engine. I'll ask him.
Anyway we are talking compressed air engines.

I don't think he is really seeing the suggestion about application in
stop-start situations and that really most of the k.e. (>99% ?!! really?!!!)
could go back to the tank.

I think the suggestion is so simple it is defeating me too. It was conceived
late in the day when I was muzzy. I've been a little sleepless thinking
through the night. It's now morning and I'm even more muzzy and it just
doesn't seem right but then again it does.

Once again:

Forget the losses from the expansion and the venting and running the motor.
Say 80% of the PE in the tank gets to the wheel. Say because we are going so
slowly that wind/rolling resistance is not a problem. In stop-start we could
get back most of that 80% even it is seen as a "useless dissipative process"
and "just waste heat".

The temptation would have to been put a heat engine on the waste heat and
drive a compressor. No need, a 'useless' dissipative process actually in the
limit lets you recover 'all' the KE.

The tank looses internal energy U - mc(T2-T1) part of this coupled back so
U - mc(T2-T1)+ k* mc(T2-T1). It discharges slower.

It can't be this simple. Something has got to be wrong. It seems paradoxical
and one has to argue both sides to find the 'why'.