On Jul 27, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

Horace

> The half-life of potassium 40 is 1.3 billion years... It is not logical to expect a cavity effect to cause any detectable change in the amount of 40K.

Yes, we would be looking for a dramatic change in the decay rate as measured in the average microrem per hour, or whatever, but "dramatic" or logical is not the problem - it is even less logical to expect the drastic changes which have been claimed in such things as thorium remediation. In either case, if there was pronounced time dilation at the Casimir geomtery - it could be extreme - not gradual.

Admittedly, the operative word there for thorium is "claimed". But speaking of the Barker patents, which is a situation of high electrostatic voltage containment = a few of those claims were for changes on the order of 10^6 in decay rates ... and I am convinced they are accurate, from personal work I have done.

I have not made the point clear. Suppose your sample of 40 K actually does change on the order of 10^6 in decay rate while in the cavity, and resumes its old decay rate when outside the cavity. It's new half life is then 1.3 million years. In one year you consume about (1/2)(1/(1.3x10^6) = .000000386 of your 40K. If you run the experiment for 36 days, or about 1/10 a year. You consume about (1/10)(. 000000386) = 0.000000386 of the sample. Now, after the experiment, if you digest the material and extract your 40K, and count it, you will have to distinguish a loss of 0.000000386 of the sample, far less than the accuracy of any kind of extraction that can be performed. Unless you use a short half life isotope, you need to measure cavity count rates in-situ, or determine them from calorimetry.

If you use an isotope with a short half life, you only have to run the experiment for about the length of the half life to see major results. Technetium has a half life of 6 hours (not 66 hours as I mistakenly typed earlier, it is 99Mo that has the 66 hour half life, and 99mTe is produced from 99Mo in hospitals), so if you run the experiment 6 hours and measure the count, it should be about 1/2 the original. If the half life is reduced to 1/1000 of 6 hours, or 21.6 seconds, then a 6 hour run will leave only (1/2)^1000 of the original material, a robust result!

I would not hesitate to give 40K a shot, if I were in Fran's shoes and thought it would help to validate the theory - but sure, if other isotopes with shorter half-lives are available, and can be placed in cavities as easily as by vacuum melting - then go for it ... why not.

Then there is always the tactic of cannibalizing your smoke detector ;-)

Jones

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/