At 11:49 AM 9/7/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Here is part of a long article by S. O. Dean:

Dean, S.O., Fusion News: 2004. J. Fusion Energy, 2004. 23(3): p. 137.

This is from p. 161. The author quotes someone else, Peter Golden. This is noteworthy because the same issue of the journal has a long article supporting cold fusion, Li, X.Z., et al., A Chinese View on Summary of Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. J. Fusion Energy, 2004. 23(3): p. 217-221.

This is pretty weird. I still haven't seen the Dean article, I'd thought it was a relatively brief note or editorial. That the Golden column is quoted as extensively as you report makes it seem that the Dean article is a rant, odd in a peer-reviewed journal, don't you think? I mean, when you are reduced to quoting an inconsequential column in a local newspaper, isn't that getting pretty desperate?

(quote of Golden column deleted. Peter Golden: http://www.petergolden.com/ Golden does not show any strong interest in science.)