I went to look at the mailing list today, and it was gone.

Wow! -- I thought -- "they" really are quick!

But then I checked and found reference in the Help forum that quite a number of new groups had disappeared, probably due to maintenance on yahoogroups servers, and that probably everything will reappear later. Frustrating, but not actual proof of a massive anti-cold fusion conspiracy!

To join the group, send an email to coldfusionproject-subscr...@yahoogrous.com.

The group is not for debating theory, it is a "community of interest" over the formation of a company or companies to engineer and market cold fusion research kits, preferably cheap, plug-in-and-turn-on. "Kits'" may be misleading, the full "kit" will more or less be plug-and-play, but everything will be available, I expect, from the actual engineering documentation used to manufacture the kits, up to the supplies and instrumentation, etc. So anything can be done with such kits including full independent replication, buying nothing from the company, to a simple science fair project showing some established phenomenon, to true controlled experiments, where one variable is changed at a time. Analytical services will also be offered (possibly -- and possibly ideally -- through an independent company).

My goal is that each test cell be cheap, very cheap, well under, say, the cost of a Galileo Project replication, partly done through economies of scale, partly through scaling the demonstration down, and, as well, by picking only the cheapest of designs. So an experimenter could test a whole series of ostensibly identical cells to get statistically analyzable data, plus experimental data from many buyers, I expect, will be available for overall analysis.

The "full kit," before being generally marketed, would be extensively tested and "success rate" documented. The closer to 100%, the better, but 100% is not actually necessary, merely desirable. If the cells are cheap enough, even a quite modest success rate (which seems, from the literature, very accessible) will be enough, it merely affects how many cells buyers would need to test.

Jed has suggested wide replication of the Arata/Kitamura work, which I think is a good idea, but the problem is that the material is likely to be quite expensive, compared to, say, an experiment with a piece of palladium foil or a codeposition experiment. Nevertheless, Arata-type cells might be offered for those who can afford the cell cost. (Off the top of my head, an Arata cell, in production, might sell for about $200, whereas a codep cell might sell for $20. On the other hand, if the quantity of nanoparticle palladium in an Arata cell can be scaled down, and still see notable effects, maybe it's more practical.)

Other possibilities exist. My own preference is for kits that demonstrate already-published designs, not for speculative new designs, though if someone independently, or in a small group of people who find each other through our mailing list or in some other way, develops and demonstrates a design, it could be considered. Cheap. It better be cheap to make. Inventors looking for $100,000 to test your nifty design need not apply. However, if you have a cheap prototype that shows some LENR effect, great, let's talk.