I couldn't agree more, this is well illustrated IMHO in Earthtech's
CR-39 experiments, where thanks to this "variational" method they
showed that the SPAWAR pits could be obtained in a shorter time (3
days instead of 3 weeks), or with cheaper plating metals (Cu or Ni
instead of Pd), or without magnets, here is the link again:

http://www.earthtech.org/CR39/index.html

Michel