At 01:50 PM 9/10/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
That video is spectacular. It might mean nothing, but I doubt that it means nothing. Focused on the back of the cathode? The video raises more questions than are answered. What's the magnification? What would be seen in the visible, with a microscope?

Possibly damage. Probably nothing.

If that's the back of the cathode, wouldn't the heat be diffuse there?

Yes, but not as diffuse as it would be seen through water.

What is the "back of the electrode." Aren't all sides of the electrode active?

The configuration is shown in the slides referenced on the same page:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSpolarizedda.pdf

A someone similar technique has been used a few times to detect x-rays from cold fusion reactions. Palladium is sputtered onto beryllium, which is transparent to x-rays. The beryllium is then used as one wall to construct a cell (like a box). Electrolysis is performed with the palladium as cathode. Since it has only side exposed to the electrolyte and anode, it does not work well. However, an x-ray detector can be placed right next the outside wall of the beryllium.

I'm being told that beryllium will absorb hot alphas and emit neutrons.