At 08:25 AM 9/10/2009, Michel Jullian wrote:
 The tritium producing SPAWAR experiment I was talking
about was discussed here in January:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg29943.html

and in the ensuing discussion, where Horace was already writing (in msg 29965)

"However, it seems to me the CF community needs to home in on one,
just one, highly repeatable, unambiguous, cheap and easy experiment to
demonstrate that CF is real. So far we've not done a good job of
that."

So, let's do just that, shall we?

Thanks. I believe, in spite of the negativity, that we can do it.

And how we do it, I suggest, is through joining coldfusionproj...@yahoogroups.com, which will be used as part of a decision-making mechanism that will seek maximum consensus; the way it will be done will leave actual decisions in the hands of what I call "caucuses," which will decide to form a company or companies or other activities. (One person can be a "caucus"! In this case, if the person has the money or time to invest.) Consensus is powerful, there is high motivation to find it, because whatever is decided will be easier with more support, but it is not necessary to find complete agreement or even a majority; a caucus can decide to go ahead no matter what the rest of the participants think.

My own decisions will be just that: my own decisions, as advised by the community. In a sense, I'm setting all this up to get the best advice, and also to find people with whom to cooperate; I expect that I'll be putting in some of my own limited resources. Not a lot, for sure, but something. My time will be the most valuable thing I put in, I'm sure, because I have only very limited savings, actually inadequate for my age and responsibilities. But you do what you can do. Hence I want this to work the first time, if it becomes a money sink, it will be a disaster for me.

The mailing list will not be allowed to become a free-form debate on, say, cold fusion theories. But you'll see if you join. It hasn't really started yet, just a few foundation posts, and there will be more.

The cell cost, in particular, is, contrary to Jed's proclamations, crucial, even if the instrumentation is more expensive than I expect. If cells are cheap, one can run many cells individually, and keep varying one condition at a time. It's real science, all right, but it's also a toy, it should be fun.