Steven Krivit wrote:

Why?  Nuclear track counts in a _dry_ SSNTD as in the 2009 SPAWAR
>>> paper http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MosierBosscharacteri.pdf , and
>>>
>> as Abd is planning now following Horace's advice, are much easier to
>>> measure, much more sensitive, and much less disputable proofs of LENRs
>>> than calorimetry aren't they?
>>>

> Jed wrote:
>
>  Not in my opinion.
>>

> Jed,
>
> From what do you base your opinion that excess heat is a more convincing
> proof of a LENR reaction than "Nuclear track counts in a _dry_ SSNTD as in
> the 2009 SPAWAR
> paper"?

I did not say "less convincing," although as far as I know, so far fewer
people are convinced by the SPAWAR experiment than the excess heat
experiments. However, as you see in the text you quoted, I said that in my
opinion CR-39 is not "more sensitive" or "less disputable." That is not
quite the same as "less convincing."

SENSITIVITY Good calorimetry is more sensitive because cold fusion produces
more heat than neutrons (and sometimes, probably, no neutrons), and because
a calorimeter surrounds the whole cell captures all the heat, indisputably,
whereas as far as I know neutron detectors miss a lot.

DISPUTABLE Given all the disputation it seems self evident that CR-39 is
disputable.  People argue about "hamburger" versus actual tracks, about
problems with etching, and tracks induced by cosmic rays and so on, whereas
there are no serious, published, sane arguments claiming that calorimetry
does not work (except Shanahan). After the conference in Italy several
people expressed admiration of the expertise of the people using CR-39, but
remarked that the stuff is a nightmare compared to more modern electronic
methods of detecting neutrons.

At a high enough s/n ratio, neutrons, tritium or any nuclear signal is
totally convincing. It goes without saying that the heat Mizuno measured by
evaporating water from buckets during the heat after death event is totally
convincing. That is either a lie or indisputable proof of a non-chemical
reaction. I cannot imagine how anyone argues with tritium at 50 times
background. Ed Storms pointed out that the SPAWAR CR-39 sometimes has
millions of holes that are obviously not "hamburger" and that originate from
the cathode (you can tell from the direction of the holes) and that is
indisputably a nuclear effect. I agree of course, but heat is more reliable,
easier to detect and a better place to start, in my opinion. Especially heat
with no input power. I suppose even Shanahan and Garwin cannot argue with
that . . . but you never know with those two.