At 09:25 PM 10/29/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
I wrote:

However, as you see in the text you quoted, I said that in my opinion CR-39 is not "more sensitive" or "less disputable." That is not quite the same as "less convincing."

The key point is that heat detection is more reliable. More likely to happen. For experiments that attempt to measure both heat and neutrons, there are hundreds of examples in which heat was detected but neutrons were not.

Jed, that was with instantaneous electronic detectors. Integrating detectors are another animal entirely. It was only in the last two years or so that detection of neutrons with CR-39 was reported, and the configuration was not at all optimized for detecting neutrons. That's fairly easy to fix, it's just some more stuff added outside the cell.

But the "radiation" that is most copious is obviously alpha radiation, the neutrons are almost certainly from secondary reactions and therefore at a rate much lower than the alphas. I'm not aware of serious efforts to detect alphas instantaneously and electronically, i.e., perhaps with a Geiger-Mueller tube that would be built into the cell, it must get up close and personal with the cathode. Absolutely, it's tricky, but almost all CF experiments have been run with no search for alphas, and the attempts to find neutrons were with methods that we now know would largely fail. The bubble detectors are interesting, they are integrating detectors, and they could be placed very close to the cathode.

Heat was detected and neutrons were not because they were looking for heat and the correlated neutron flux is quite low. But even with neutrons, the triple tracks from SPAWAR were important because they are quite characteristic of C-12 breakup from neutrons. And then, the information that wasn't released before Galileo was almost over: gold cathodes produce copious neutron radiation by comparison with silver, which seems to produce almost none.