Jed, then you've got some extremely liberal definition of 'insider'!

My definition of an insider is one who has at least done some
experimental/theoretical research on
the subject; LENR in this case.

Robert Duncan is an expert in calorimetry, but he most definitely is NOT and
insider!!!
Insiders are most likely also experts (duh!), and they are usually viewed as
not objective since
they are 'invested' in the research, thus, their opinions, although most
knowledgeable about the
matter, do not carry as much weight as an expert who has not actually done any
research in the
field.  Its all about perceptions at this point in time...

As I stated, "I would hope that at least some of the experts were people who
have never done any
LENR research."

The fact that Dr. Duncan was an expert but not an insider is what gave his
assessment such a strong
impact, not only on the media, but more importantly on the scientific world.
What we need are more
experts, NOT insiders, making independent assessments as did Dr.Duncan. But
that takes guts, and
integrity, now doesn't it... kudos to Dr. Duncan.

Agreed, some may now refer to Dr. Duncan as somewhat of an insider, but his
single assessment had
MORE of a positive impact than anything that I can think of... it drastically
reduced the "negative
aura" surrounding LENR... win the perception battle, and all else will begin to
follow a more
rational scientific process.

This report, although not a dam buster, is another major fracture/leak in the
skeptics denial dam...
lets all hope that Park and others are in its path when the dam finally bursts!
 ;^)

-Mark

  _____