Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Michel Jullian <michelj...@gmail.com> wrote:

In fact, I was wondering, who cares about the heat, helium production
alone is an indisputable proof of LENRs, isn't it?

A familiarity with the history of the dispute, and even of very recent comments here about this, would reveal how incorrect this is.

Huizenga laid out the challenge in 1993. Nuclear products commensurate with excess heat. He recognized the devastating significance of the work of Miles et al, and only managed to dismiss it as unconfirmed. Which was, even then, misleading.

Helium is difficult to measure. It will diffuse through glass. The levels are very low and in most results, are below ambient. It is very easy to remain skeptical on helium measurements alone. But when the helium findings correlate with excess heat, it all changes. The results confirm each other. Huizenga seems to have realized that from his response to the reports.

That heat/helium work continued, and was confirmed, and it is conclusive evidence for nuclear reactions, and the values found are little short of strong evidence for some kind of deuterium fusion, mechanism and pathways unknown or certainly not proven.

Krivit is showing that, in spite of his experience, he doesn't understand the science, he doesn't understand the researchers, and he has lost his journalistic objectivity and integrity. I've been begging for months for someone with Krivit's ear to help their friend, whom I see as trashing his own career. Look at Marwan's response to Krivit in the press conference, and realize that Marwan and Krivit were co- editors of the ACS Sourcebook. Last year at the , Krivit was sitting up there with the others. This year, he's an obvious crank in the audience.

It's not about challenging orthodoxy. It's about a personal agenda, a vision of himself as a muckraker, courageous investigative journalist not afraid to confront dogma. Problem is, he doesn't understand what he's challenging, he's making blatant errors right and left, and seems completely unable to recognize it.

He is irrelevant to the science, but he is damaging the return to general respectability of the LENR field, that's clear from media response to his "confession." He can't stop the progress, but he can slow it down. How much, I don't know. Maybe a year, depends. It seems he did damage, this year, but he won't stop existing journals, already opened to papers in the field, from continuing, and he's not going to cause backtracking of the experts who are increasingly open. It's just with the spread of that openness.

The helium results should be vigorously criticised, but by the knowledgeable and competent. I'll do what I can, but my knowledge is limited, plus I have no academic credentials. Krivit is, unfortunately, criticizing details of interpretation that are almost completely irrelevant.

And, distracted by that, he's not investigating and reporting the real stuff, even with respect to his obsession, Widom-Larsen theory. What exactly is the theory, how does it explain the experimental results without creating new, more difficult questions, what does it predict and how could it be tested, and how is this theory being received by experts? In all this, the bulk of his journalism should be reporting on the experience and opinions of experts, and other witnesses. His own original analysis, he should report with caution, and never as conclusive, more as an aside, that's acceptable in informal style. What Krivit is doing is making his own opinions the center of attention, the story.

Krivit frequently reports his own defective analysis as it it were fact, we saw an example of this yesterday, where he claimed that where one source did not confirm the report of another source, the first source was "contradicting" the second. Basic logical error, the excluded middle. There existed obvious possible underlying facts that would harmonize the two reports or claims. Krivit does not understand what's in front of him, and appears to be impervious to correction, no matter how clear. This did not just begin, I've found. Gradually, Krivit has alienated most of those working in the field, and without good reason.

And if his errors are confronted as he so freely confonts what he imagines as the errors of others, he rejects the communication, he doesn't have time for this nonsense. That's fine, except, that goose sauce is gander sauce. He generally treats the silence that ultimately results from experts in the field, after attempts to answer Krivit's often hostile questions, as proof of stonewalling and the expert having something to hide. See how he treated the ENEA researchers over his own silly error in not realizing that 10 x 10^n is equal to 1 x 10 (n + 1).

This could all stop in a flash. What it would take is "Oops! I lost it there!" He'd have to start listening to *somebody*, I don't care if it's me, I tried privately long ago without success.

I'm trying to reduce damage to the field and to the researchers, who need our support -- which includes collegial criticism -- and not charges of data falsification and biased interpretation over every discovered error or change.