On Wed, 12 May 2010  Abd ul-Rahman Lomax said
I think so. There are cavities involved, likely. However, they are not
supplying any energy, apparently, rather they *configure* the reacting
ingredient or ingredients. We know that the reaction rate increases with
temperature. I suspect that the energy required -- there must be energy
required, but energy is not the only "ingredient" -- is generally supplied by
ordinary heat.

Abd,
I don't think the heat is ordinary or it would dissipate see quote from Moddel
paper  below,
Regards
Fran

Quote from Professor Garret Moddel dated 30 October 2009  "Assessment of
proposed electromagnetic quantum vacuum energy extraction methods"
http://www.calphysics.org/articles/Moddel_VacExtrac.pdf

There is a fundamental difference between the equilibrium state for heat and
for ZPE. It is well understood that one cannot make use of thermal fluctuations
under equilibrium conditions. To use the heat, there must be a temperature
difference to promote a heat flow to obtain work, as reflected in the Carnot
efficiency of Eq. (4). We cannot maintain a permanent temperature difference
between a hot source and a cold sink in thermal contact with each other without
expending energy, of course.

Similarly, without differences in some characteristic of ZPE in one region as
compared to another it is difficult to understand what could drive ZPE flow to
allow its extraction. If the ZPE represented the universal ground state, we
could not make use of ZPE differences to do work. But the entropy and energy of
ZPE are geometry dependent.32 "The vacuum state does not have a fixed energy
value, but changes with boundary conditions."33 In this way ZPE fluctuations
differ fundamentally from thermal fluctuations. Inside a Casimir cavity the ZPF
density is different than outside. This is a constant difference that is
established as a result of the different boundary conditions inside and out. A
particular state of thermal or chemical equilibrium can be characterized by a
temperature or chemical potential, respectively. For an ideal Casimir cavity
having perfectly reflecting surfaces it is possible to define a characteristic
temperature that describes the state of equilibrium for zero-point energy and
which depends only on cavity spacing. In a real system, however, no such
parameter exists because the state is determined by boundary conditions in
addition to cavity spacing, such as the cavity reflectivity as a function of
wavelength, spacing uniformity, and general shape.