At 03:33 PM 5/12/2010, Roarty, Francis X wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010  Abd ul-Rahman Lomax said
I think so. There are cavities involved, likely. However, they are not supplying any energy, apparently, rather they *configure* the reacting ingredient or ingredients. We know that the reaction rate increases with temperature. I suspect that the energy required -- there must be energy required, but energy is not the only "ingredient" -- is generally supplied by ordinary heat.

Abd,
I don't think the heat is ordinary or it would dissipate see quote from Moddel paper below,

No, by "ordinary heat" I mean the movement of molecules and atoms at the involved temperature. That is a distribution of energies, so a given molecule may have more or less than the mean energy which is present at a given temperature.

The "heat" is not "used" to generate energy.

Suppose that some reaction requires a certain energy to occur. That energy is present from the collision velocity of two reactants, if they are moving rapidly enough. Suppose that we put these reactants together at a temperature that is below the temperature necessary for the average molecule to have the necessary energy. What will the reaction rate be? Will it be zero?

Let's suppose that the reaction is exothermic. However, a single molecular reaction will not raise the reaction rate enough to cause the reaction to self-propagate. An ignition source, though, could raise the reaction rate in an area in contact with it, causing the reaction to them propagate.

A stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gas at room temperature the mixture is stable, the gases do not combine. However, given an ignition source, the mixture will rapidly combine (if it's dense enough). It explodes. Now, there is some level of combination that occurs in the un-ignited mixture, but the rate of this is low enough that the mixture doesn't spontaneously ignite. It may be (I don't know), that the formed water molecules are dissociated as rapidly as they form.

In the case of cold nuclear fusion, the energy necessary to *catalyze* it need not be anything more than the kind of energy that would cause some level of combination of hydrogen and oxygen in a mixture as described.

I don't think that ZPE is relevant to cold fusion. But since we don't know, with any level of certainty, what is going on in the CF cells, beyond some clear evidence that there is deuterium fusion (not necessarily d-d fusion!) taking place, nothing can really be ruled out.

As I've described, one potential candidate for a fusion reaction is known, the Tetrahedral Symmetric Condensate, which is formed when four deuterons and their electrons (or, I think, three of the electrons works) form a tetrahedral configuration of a certain size. My sense of this is that this is a compressed form, a cluster like this would not stay together if unconstrained. To compress it takes energy, but since we are only talking about two molecules, the energy involved would be the relative velocities of the two molecules in collision. This kind of energy is available thermally. It is nowhere near enough to cause fusion, itself, it simply puts the nuclei and electrons into a position where they can collapse to a Bose-Einstein condensate and then, according to Takahashi's calculations, spntaneously fuse 100% to Be-8.