Regardless of the exact amount transmuted, there is an explanation of
all this given on Rossi's website.  (/When all else fails, read the
documentation!/)

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=62

He says that Ni^x + p -> Cu^(x+1)  does, indeed, typically produce an
unstable result, but it decays back to Ni^(x+1), after which it can pick
up another proton, and repeat the process until it ends up as Cu^63,
which is stable.

He also asserts that the relative proton capture rates of all isotopes
of Ni must be identical, as they're determined by electrostatic issues:
"The capture rate of protons by Nickel nuclei cannot depend on the mass
values of different isotopes"

Finally, he says that they've been testing the ash and it's /not
radioactive/:  "No radioactivity has been found also in the Nickel
residual from the process."  I don't understand that.

If a tiny fraction of the nickel is transmuted each second, and if
nearly all the transmutation events produce unstable copper which
eventually decays back to (higher weight) nickel, and if it takes
multiple steps to get to stable copper, then by the time we've got a lot
of stable copper running around, nearly all the nickel must have been
transmuted at least once, and the whole lot should be radioactive.  In
particular, there should probably be a really large fraction of Ni^59
present (31 neutrons), with a 75 ky half-life, and I'd think that would
make the sample pretty "hot".  Or so it seems; I haven't done the
calculations to back up the intuition.

In any case the text on that page is interesting and certainly worth
reading.