From: Stephen A. Lawrence [mailto:sa...@pobox.com]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 2:36 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [Vo]:Removing All Doubt

Regardless of the exact amount transmuted, there is an explanation of all this
given on Rossi's website.  (When all else fails, read the documentation!)

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=62

He says that Ni^x + p -> Cu^(x+1)  does, indeed, typically produce an unstable
result, but it decays back to Ni^(x+1), after which it can pick up another
proton, and repeat the process until it ends up as Cu^63, which is stable.

He also asserts that the relative proton capture rates of all isotopes of Ni
must be identical, as they're determined by electrostatic issues:  "The capture
rate of protons by Nickel nuclei cannot depend on the mass values of different
isotopes"

Finally, he says that they've been testing the ash and it's not radioactive:
"No radioactivity has been found also in the Nickel residual from the process."
 I don't understand that.

If a tiny fraction of the nickel is transmuted each second, and if nearly all
the transmutation events produce unstable copper which eventually decays back
to (higher weight) nickel, and if it takes multiple steps to get to stable
copper, then by the time we've got a lot of stable copper running around,
nearly all the nickel must have been transmuted at least once, and the whole
lot should be radioactive.  In particular, there should probably be a really
large fraction of Ni^59 present (31 neutrons), with a 75 ky half-life, and I'd
think that would make the sample pretty "hot".  Or so it seems; I haven't done
the calculations to back up the intuition.

In any case the text on that page is interesting and certainly worth reading.