From: Horace Heffner [mailto:hheff...@mtaonline.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:10 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Rossi comments on Cu isotope ratios; 100-300keV seen.

On Apr 12, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Mark Iverson wrote:

> I don't think this was mentioned yet...
> Apparently they have seen energetic particles of 100-300keV.
> The following excerpt from one of the Ny Teknik Q&A sessions with
> Rossi...
>
> Rossi: No radioactivity has been found in the residual metals, it is
> true, but the day after the stop of the operation. In any case you are
> right, if 59-Cu is formed from 58-Ni we should have the couples of 511
> keV at 180° and we never found them, while we found keV in the range
> of 100-300 keV.
>
> -Mark

Hi Mark,

I feel certain that Rossi here is talking about gammas.  The "couples
511 keV at 180°" are the positron-electron annihilation gammas.

It is of possible interest that Cu61 (half life 3.35 hours) can emit a 283 keV
gamma, but also
normally emits a 656 keV gamma.

I suppose it is possible a very small percentage of Cu61 could have be excited
to a 283 keV isomeric
state. There is so little to go on as to what happens when a de-energized
nucleus is created.  The
lack of the normally seen 656 keV gamma might be explained by the high degree
of de-energization.
There is a substantial energy deficit associated with the reaction:

60Ni28 + p* --> 61Cu29 * + 4.801 MeV [-4.840 MeV]

It is also notable that Zn60 (half life 2,4 minutes) can emit gammas in that
range, associated with
electron capture:

58Ni28 + 2 p* --> 60Zn30 * + 8.538 MeV [-11.541 MeV] --> 60Ni28 + 2 neutrinos +
~7 MeV

It is important to keep in mind that the energy deficits are stochastic values,
and could have trace
occurrences out on the cusp.

The lack of positron emission is not at all surprising, at least not within the
perspective of
deflation fusion. Positron emission should be suppressed by a very short half
life of electrons. It
is a mystery to me as to why gamma emission could be so delayed.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/