On 04/20/2011 02:36 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

> Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com <mailto:sa...@pobox.com>> wrote:
>

>     Say WHAT?  You just "proved" that all pipes inside the ecat are
>     *frictionless* !!
>

> Actually, if you read what I wrote previously, and repeatedly, I said
> that a tiny amount of heat transfers, in the milliwatt range, from
> friction. However that is many orders of magnitude smaller than you
> can measure with a calorimeter designed for kilowatt-scale reactions.

Yes, that's true.   But I was taking issue, specifically, with this
sentence (emphasis added):

"_The water does not /slow down or stop/ between those points, so *none*
of the pump energy converts to heat._"

My point was the /speed/ doesn't change but the /pressure/ does, and
that equates to a drop in the energy carried by the fluid, and that
energy drop shows up as heat.  (Tiny, /tiny/ amounts of heat.)

> You would need a microcalorimeter to detect the friction of water in
> these pipes, even at 1/L second.
>

>     In fact, what you would find if you could take *extremely* precise
>     pressure measurements all along the pipe, is that the pressure of
>     the water DROPS, very gradually, as you move along the pipe away
>     from the pump.
>

> That's what I said.

Oh, well, sorry -- then I didn't understand.