OK, Jed, this is a nit, and I'm stating that up front.  But with that
said...

On 04/20/2011 02:08 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

> There is no need to measure the pump input because it cannot transfer
> to the system between the inlet and outlet temperature sensors. The
> water does not slow down or stop between those points, so none of the
> pump energy converts to heat. The heat added to the water by the pump
> mechanical action is added before the inlet sensor, so it does not
> register.

Say WHAT?  You just "proved" that all pipes inside the ecat are
*frictionless* !!

Because the water flow doesn't slow, you assert that no energy from the
flowing water can have been lost to heat -- that's absurd!  It cannot be
true for any physical pipe carrying physical water (if this were liquid
helium the story might be different).

In fact, what you would find if you could take *extremely* precise
pressure measurements all along the pipe, is that the pressure of the
water DROPS, very gradually, as you move along the pipe away from the
pump.  It is this (very slight) pressure gradient which drives the water
through the pipe against the force of friction.  Flow rate, on the other
hand, is (obviously) constant along the pipe (unless there's a leak).

This is very similar to the situation in electronics, where there's a
"voltage drop" along wires carrying current.

In practice the friction between the water and the pipe is so small that
heating effects from it can be ignored, and most of the time the
attendant pressure drop is also ignorable.

If the passages inside the eCat were truly labyrinthine, and anyone
cared to measure the pressure before and after the eCAT, you'd most
likely find that there was, indeed, a macroscopic pressure drop.  But if
it's a simple flow-through configuration you'd have a very hard time
detecting the drop.