Jay Caplan wrote:

> His only option to make money is to sell as many large water heaters as he
> can as quickly as he can, and keep them serviced with sealed replacement
> reactors.

He is planning to sell them in Greece. He has Friends in High Places there
and I gather he has permission. I do not know about Greece or Europe, but in
the U.S. or Japan you are never allowed to sell equipment without revealing
every detail of the inner workings, patent or no patent. In the U.S., the
Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) will not put their seal of approval on the
machine, and without that you are effectively barred from selling. No major
dealer will touch it, and no insurance company will cover the equipment at
the customer location. That is the whole point of UL -- to give the
insurance companies a clear idea of the liability of the equipment.

I have seen the paperwork and procedures you need to go through to get UL
approval. One of the cold fusion researchers was thinking about applying,
and he showed me the paperwork. You have to submit several working
production models. You have to submit complete blueprints, and a complete
list of every single item in the machine, "down to the faceplate screws" (as
engineers say). They take apart the machines and examine them in detail to
be sure they are correctly described, then they run them through many tests
to be sure they are safe. Access to the information about the equipment may
be limited -- not sure about that -- but any insurance company or District
Attorney has access to it. I am sure that with something like the Rossi
device, information would leak out.

This is invasive and it costs a lot money, but you would not want to live in
a world in which people could install untested equipment.

In any case, Rossi could never hold his customers to an agreement that they
will not open a sealed unit. That's like trying to stop programmers from
poking around in Microsoft Windows. If Rossi sells 10 units, agreement or no
agreement, you can be sure that within days 1 or 2 will end up in China
being reverse engineered, and six months after that the market will be
flooded with Chinese copies. He knows that as well as I do. What is he going
to do, sue the user? What can he recover? The information is worth trillions
of dollars. Everyone knows that.