I'm no legal expert, but have had a fair amt of experience with patents and
patent attorneys... and
am on several myself.
The 'Claims' primarily define what's enforceable... i.e., they form the legal
basis for an
infringement case.

The 'ancillary text' serves several purposes, and is to some extent, legally
important as well.  The
whole thing about how a patent should be 'enabling'; i.e., should be
descriptive enough to 'teach'
someone 'skilled in the art' to make your invention, is in the "Detailed
Explanation" section of the
patent.  If there really isn't enough 'enabling' information, then the patent
could be ruled as
invalid.  In responses to the Patent Examiner during the approval process, this
'ancillary text'
does indeed come into play.  In addition, that material also serves to document
other
discoveries/knowledge that, at the time of filing the patent application, you
didn't want to
incorporate into the Claims.  Thus, you CANNOT use that material as a basis of
an infringement suit,
but you can refer to it in subsequent patent applications.

-Mark

  _____