At 06:04 PM 6/23/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Let's see you find one substantive error in this paper:

<http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHisothermala.pdf>http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHisothermala.pdf

Cude, when he quoted Jed and responded to him, omitted this citation. However, in my commentary to him, lo and behold, I referred to P13/P14. Which is part of the subject of that paper.

I'd be very interested in what Cude would have to say about it. Beware, Joshua, this isn't necessarily what it looks like at first glance, you need to understand the entire setup or you will fall into some easy, and incorrect, assumptions, as Barry Kort did on Wikiversity, talking about this work.

I think (?) you may have commented about the supposed lack of HAD in this experiment. I'm not sure what HAD has to do with much, because the experimental conditions of HAD are not necessarily universal, and if an experiment is operating on the edge of what will show the effect, shutdown might be quite rapid, but there is something that looks like HAD in P13/P14 (i.e., in P14). The shutdown looks fast because of the scale. It looks to me like the heat declined over an hour. How that compares with the time constant of the calorimeter, I don't know, but maybe it's in the paper somewhere. What I do see is a period of modest heat, after shutdown, lasting for maybe four hours, which, given the rapid fall before that, would be significant.

You can see that calorimetry noise or whatever it is increases with the hydrogen control during the high current period, that seems reasonable. The hydrogen settles down immediately. I wouldn't make a big deal out of this, this is close to the noise. The signal with the high current density is not close to the noise, it's obviously above it.

This was an appearance of what I've called the chimera. From the characteristics of this beast, you can understand why so many othe researchers failed to see it. Are you aware of the controls involved, and how this shows, at the same time, the clear appearance of the FPHE, and why so many people would miss it?

Just to explain the chart a little, P13 and P14 were electrically in series, P13 is a hydrogen control and P14 uses heavy water. These are closed cells with recombiners. Flow calorimetry was used, so the cells were maintained at constant temperature. The electrolytic current, steady state, before this excursion, was such to cause very high loading, well over 90%, I understand. (Early negative replications appear to have been satisfied with 70%, to get higher loading takes special palladium and possibly the use of Tafel poisons. Hey, my $30 for the LANR Colloquium was well spent. Now I can say "Tafel poison.")

For extra credit (actually to get a basic grade here), how many times did McKubre et al run that current profile before they saw the chimera, all of them at high loading?

This does not show "fusion," what it shows is the heat anomaly called the FPHE. Very difficult to set up, difficult to maintain. But it clearly exists, and these kinds of reports are now from many, many researchers. What nails this, though, is helium. And that's another question, eh? Helium is the nuclear product that was sought, and the standard arguments about helium are so much fluff, because the evidence shows correlation with heat, so allegations of leakage, besides being implausible as shown in some the work, such as McKubre's Case study, or Violante, where helium rises above ambient, would not show correlation with excess heat. As has been pointed out, "excess heat" doesn't mean that a cell showing it was hotter than other cells, because experimental conditions varied. It means that heat out was shown, by calorimetry, to be greater than heat in.

'Splain this thing to me, okay. I'll be busy till next Wednesday....