At 02:40 AM 6/30/2011, Rich Murray wrote:
Re: Ad Hominem against Joshua Cude, or is that "Ad Pseudonym" against
"Joshua Cude" ?

Rich: So I couldn't manage to find any quotes by Abd that were Ad
Psdudonym against Joshua, so I retract that claim and regret my error
and remind myself how very easy it is to shift into criticizing and
judging our fellows... I like his humorous, wry appreciation of how we
all get tangled up in the Rossi web.

Thanks, Rich. My operating position has become that the public information does not allow us to come to clear conclusions about the Rossi claims. If I'm correct, then those who do, in fact, make claims of clear conclusion, either way, are merely displaying bias. It shouldn't be suprising, bias is normal for human beings. We tend to see what we want to see, and it's a constant effort for anyone interested in science to overcome this, and we fail, often.

I've come to a hypothesis regarding how the Rossi excess heat results -- in the public demos -- could be *very* incorrect, but that hypothesis has not been tested, even though it would be easy to test, should Rossi care to clear this up.

Jed is aware that there are problems with the demos, and that Rossi has effectively refused to address them. Krivit's latest report seems sober to me (somewhat to my surprise), what I see is that Krivit reported what has been called "gossip," without fixing or claiming some conclusion from that. The "gossip" addresses reasons to suspect Rossi, on "character" grounds. That "human interest" is actually important, for much depends, here, on our judgment of the character of the claimant and his associates.

In the end, though, Rossi is correct in that if he succeeds with the Defkalion demo, it's all moot. I've mentioned that there may be both psychological and economic reasons for Rossi's apparent "con game" character here.

Consider this: Rossi was heavily attacked, prosecuted, and even jailed for alleged fraud or illegal activity. It would be a device to recover from that, to create an impression of a repeat, to make his behavior seem really, really fishy, and then pull the sheet off the hidden proof, vindicating himself. If he's playing that game, he loves it when he's attacked, because he believes that all these attacks will look like idiocy, later. Of course, this is unfair, because he's creating the appearance that attracts those "attacks." But people are perfectly capable of thinking and acting like this. In a sense, he's attempting to vindicate himself, because if it is revealed that his appearance of fraud now was an illusion, it will carry with it, by association, his past. Perhaps his intentions were good then, too. Perhaps the old allegations were also false. Perhaps his factory fire was truly an accident. Etc.

Joshua has played a useful role in the discussions on the Vortex list. I'm hoping that there will be further cooperation, in exploring what is behind the overall cold fusion controversy. I have, in the past, excoriated Joshua for pseudoskepticism combined with anonymity. I'm not going to belabor whether or not that was justified, but I'd urge him to abandon the anonymity, if possible. There is nothing shameful about real skepticism.

I am aware, though, of a certain risk to him if he does so. I've had correspondence with some skeptics who are afraid of retaliation from *other skeptics,* for even giving cold fusion the time of day. It was something like "if it became known that I debated cold fusion, my career would be over." Which I find fascinating as a window into the oppressive character of orthodoxy. If that kind of pressure exists, much is explained.

I've encountered a taste of this, myself, where a long-time colleague went ballistic over my mention that cold fusion might be real. The man had no knowledge or understanding of the research work that has led me to that possibility, all he knew was theory. (He's a mathematician, who has some substantial knowledge of quantum mechanics.) It seemed impossible to penetrate his firm conviction. He believed I'd been conned. When I mentioned that I'd put thousands of dollars into "cold fusion kits," he assumed that I'd bought kits from some fraudster, he clearly believes that anyone involved with cold fusion is either massively deluded or a con artist. When I explained that, no, I was making kits for sale, to replicate a published experiment, he advised me, firmly, to get my money back, as much as possible, by selling the materials and equipment, since there could be no possible value to actually experimenting with this. A mutual friend, a close associate of the mathematician, who became privy to the correspondence, could see what was going on and tried to mediate, to no avail. I was consigned, by this long-time friend, to the outer darkness, and there were consequences within the organization where we had cooperated.

His kind of science is "cargo cult science," where belief trumps experiment.

One cannot apply theory to "unknown mechanism," to calculate expected results. That's clear! Cold fusion violates no basic, fundamental and accepted scientific principle. It did violate expectations and certain assumptions. Reading the early skeptical literature, such as Huizenga, it's clear that a basic confusion existed between fusion as a result and fusion as a known mechanism. The hypothesis that the Pons-Fleischmann heat was produced by "fusion" then led to a belief that the probability of this could be calculated, if "fusion" is a mechanism, specifically d-d fusion. As a 2-body problem, d-d fusion can be calculated to be effectively impossible. Further, if unexpected catalysis occurs, the branching ratio would be expected to produce results contrary to what was observed, i.e., the dead graduate student effect. What all that analysis really showed was that, if fusion was taking place, it was through an "unknown mechanism." Yet this got translated into "impossible." What that boils down to is a *belief* that there could be no unknown mechanism, a variation on an old error.

"Unknown mechanism" was *unexpected*, to be sure. But impossible? No. It's obvious that the unknown mechanism, if this be fusion, must be very rare in nature, must require conditions not normally encountered. In hindsight, there is evidence, the FP Heat Effect had been observed before, but fusion as the cause was so unexpected that the isolated observations were passed off as simply one of those things that happen that will never be explained.

The FPHE is real. Many researchers have found excess heat in palladium deuteride following the FP approach, and the evidence for this is overwhelming. The FPHE could, in theory, still be explained by some chemical mechanism, or by some systematic calorimetry error, but no proposed mechanism is satisfactory, generally being ruled out by controls and other experimental results. No paper has been published that shows, by controlled experiment, a non-nuclear origin for the FPHE. The idea that cold fusion was conclusively rejected because of the early replication failures was simply one more belief that arose. Replication failure is failure to replicate. To "kill" a new theory based on experimental results requires demonstrating the cause of these results by adequate controls in an experiment that *succeeds* in replicating the apparent effect.

That is, if the effect is caused, say, by some defective instrumentation or analysis, a conclusive refutation would consist of repeating the error, then showing the nature of it. The Cal Tech work did actually claim this, i.e., that apparent excess heat was caused by poor stirring of the cells, because they found, with a cell or set of cells, that apparent excess heat disappeared with stirring. However, for reasons I won't go into here, that showing was defective, they had not reproduced the F-P experimental conditions, and it is ruled out for many showings of the FPHE, where stirring would be irrelevant. Their "error" in those non-stirred cells was their error, not the error of others. Nice try, though, Nate.

But, of course, there is something further, there is evidence that the FPHE is correlated with the production of helium, which, if we assume that the fuel is deuterium, would show that the *result* is fusion, since the heat/helium ratio is observed within experimental error of what would be expected from fusion of deuterium -- by any mechanism -- to helium, with no significant other products, including no radiation. It's still a mystery what the mechanism is, because even pure fusion to helium (no other branches) would give us highly energetic helium, i.e., 24 MeV alpha particles, which are not produced, they would be detected, easily, from secondary effects.

So, to pull us back to the original situation, we have encountered something unknown, and "unknown" seems to threaten people, it offends them. Some of us, most of us, perhaps, fall back on orthodoxy, a *belief* that there must be some mistake. Others fall into a belief of some kind that the new work is real and must be accepted. However, my understanding of what the scientific approach requires of us is that we don't allow any belief at all, other than ordinary trust in what we observe as being what we observe, which is extended, by rebuttable default, to trust in what others report of their experience.

I just finished the Landmark Education Advanced Course, and one of the Landmark "distinctions" is "Life is empty and meaningless and it is empty and meaningless that "life is empty and meaningless." Yet "what happened" is real, it is only our *interpretations* of what happened that leave behind reality. When they say that life is empty and meaningless, they are not claiming that this is "true," but that it is useful as a "distinction" that allows us to leave behind the traps of belief in assumed or created meaning.

This is not mere philosophy in Landmark, it's demonstrated and observed and learned as a functional distinction that is liberating.

Landmark is considered by some to be a "cult." It's been fascinating for me to explore this, I can easily understand why some would think that.

Rich, someone we both know very well has long been involved with Landmark. Were you ever invited to check it out? If so, what happened?