Hi Peter,

     I would like to see Ahern use Iwamura's tungsten as one of his powders
because of it's high melting point it would be less susceptible to self
destruction, of course milling tungsten to nano geometry probably isn't
easy. I remain of the opinion that the most active Casimir geometry
immediately self destructs via pyrophoric action and stiction at ambient STP
and that tungsten would be the most resistant. If someday powders are milled
and preserved in vacuum I predict activity will occur at very low pressures
of hydrogen released into the vacuum preserved powder.

Regards

Fran

Peter Gluck
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:54:14 -0700

Re metals tried successfully, Prof Piantelli wrote me, inter alia:

"all the metals from the four transition metal groups are able to work, more

or less;

Naturally some work better than the other due to a better electronic

conformation in the most external shell and  Zr is one of these.

The W of Iwamura also works and also Th and some rare earths.