Jones Beene wrote:
However, several dozen of the top researchers in the LENR field were a bit
miffed by this change in direction, since they had built careers around
Pd-D; and many of them may have jumped ship.
I do not know any who say they are miffed at this. None of them seem miffed to me. I do not know any who thought that Pd was a promising long-term solution. There is probably not enough of it to produce all the energy we need. As far as I know, people have been investigating Pd because they can -- because it works. The power density with Ni has been extremely low up until now, and most of the time it did not work, so it was difficult to use. I think the idea was to discover how cold fusion works with Pd, then apply that knowledge to other metals such as Ni or Ti.

As I recall, the first person to tell me there is probably not enough Pd and Ni is the best alternative was Martin Fleischmann. He and Pons tested Ni long ago, and got some positive results but not clear enough to publish.