  From: Jed Rothwell
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:58 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:The Krivit Videos Part 3

  Joe Catania wrote:

    Yes I honestly mean toward 100C. If the metal is below 100C to start we
never get boiling so of course its above 100C (by alot) and will cool to 100C
which is the temp of boiling water.

  I still don't follow what you have in mind. Take the metal at the bottom of a
pot on the stove. It is much hotter than 100°C because it is over the gas
flame. You turn off the flame. The metal does not get any hotter. Boiling
continues for perhaps a minute. But the temperature of the metal and the water
cannot rise. If it was not driven above 100°C while the gas was burning, it
cannot get any hotter than that after the flame goes off.

  If we assume there is no anomalous heat in the eCat, the only source of heat
left is the joule heaters inside and surrounding the cell. It is conventional,
like a gas flame. The heat does not transfer from the metal to the water any
faster when the heater power is turned off. As soon as these heaters are turned
off, everything in the cell must begin cooling down.

  A high temperature in a well insulated cell might be sustained for a while.
Perhaps longer than with my stainless steel pot. But it cannot get any hotter
than it was with power input.

  Also, boiling removes so much heat, so rapidly, that a few moments after you
turn off an electric or gas heater the boiling will stop. Continuing for 15
minutes is out of the question. You would have to have a gigantic mass of hot
metal to maintain boiling and release that much heat.