From: Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed, Oct 19, 2011 4:31 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:quantum levitation

On Oct 18, 2011, at 9:55 PM, David Roberson wrote:

Hello Frank,

You have an impressive understanding of the flux pinning theory.  Can you give
me an answer to my question?  It appears that energy can be put into the
floating disk-magnet combination by pushing or pulling against the disk.  Where
does the energy show up in the system?  Does the disk heat up a small amount as
I push or pull on the disk or does the magnet get the energy?  This question
may be related to the amount of force required to displace the disk.  There may
be important information revealed as a result of the energy transfer.  I
eagerly await your answer.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Here is guess for you.

The magnetic pressure P = B^2/(2*mu0) is reduced in the volume immediately
below and above the puck, except in the thin volumes near the puck of flux
transiting the thin vortices in which lines of flux are pinned. The magnetic
pressure immediately adjacent to the sides of the puck, and adjacent to the
pinning locations is increased.  Any movement of the puck relative to a given
magnet, provided the movement does not involve a canceling symmetry, such as
rotation above a single magnet, or movement on a single magnet track, changes
the local B and/or volume in which the B resides, and thus magnetic pressure,
and thus energy of the system.  Pushing the magnet into place merely involves
compressing the B into a higher average pressure, and thus consumes energy.
The energy in the B resides in the polarized vacuum.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/