For the secondary water flow, use a lower flow rate, creating a higher delta T.
Then, the output flow can be diverted into any basin (and periodically
emptied), with the temperature measured there. You could use a thermocouple
inside of the input water flow for measure, but keep a disconnect in the line
to double-check (by emptying some into a basin as well)