I think the catalyzer might be water and something that reacts with oxygen.

Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_pressure_electrolysis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-temperature_electrolysis

It think, initially the hydrogen is just to increase pressure of the
system. As the temperature increases, a combination of both starts
increasing the pressure inside the reactor, which cause temperature and
pressure to grow, which makes more electrolysis to happen and more hydrogen
to load in the nickel powder.

--
Daniel Rocha - RJ
danieldi...@gmail.com