On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Mark Iverson-ZeroPoint
> <zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:
>>

>> I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement,
>>
>> “Resonance is very much a part of brute force physics.”
>>

>> I think I need to explain resonance to you…
>>
>> Resonance is an interesting phenomenon where SMALL INputs of force or
>> energy into a system results in VERY LARGE OUTputs.  There is nothing
>> resonant about using EXTREMELY powerful magnets cooled with liquid helium to
>> accelerate atomic particles to EXTREMELY hi velocities and smashing them
>> head-on into each other.
>

> I guess it depends what you mean by brute force physics. To me, when I push
> a child on a swing, I'm using brute force physics. And I know intuitively
> that if I push at the natural frequency of the pendulum, the amplitude of
> the oscillation is much higher. That's resonance. If I push at a random
> frequency, energy will be dissipated, and the child will cry. Resonance
> allows the efficient storing of energy, so it can be built up after multiple
> cycles. The output energy does not exceed the input energy.

Joking aside....as they say on Star Trek if you can match the shield
harmonics you can pass through the shield.

If resonance plays a role it might be to bring about a kind of
frequency matching among the charged particles.

This of course implies the 19th century notion of charge as a discrete
and static property of matter is a simplication.

Harry