Jed,
With all respect I cannot understand where you come from when you make such
comments:
laws of nature--
Rossi's claim is a violation of known laws of nature, that would be ok, if
he would make open the details of the experiment set up to third parties
even just in terms of reliable input and output measurements.

In main stream physics any results that would be a new result that would
show new physics needs to be demonstrated with a precision of 5 sigmas at
least.
Usually these results need to be achieved by more than one lab or research
groups before being considered seriously.

It took 10 years of internal continuous review of the results (performed by
several people) and many comparisons with an independent group working in
the same area, to report to the world the discovery of the acceleration of
the universe.

This is what is required when claims that are beyond known physics are made.

Given that Rossi is not allowing such level of testing and verification
(not even close), given that his claims are a violation of known laws of
physics and if true pointing to a new and not understood physics, the
scrutiny that he should be upheld has to be of the highest level.

His behavior and his past are a huge part of what we have available right
now in terms of accepting or not his claims. It is unfortunate, it would be
great if Rossi, as individual, would be made irrelevant by valid
experiments.
We would then talk about the data and leave Rossi's personal life alone.
But this is not possible at this moment.

People have pointed out how inadequate all Rossi's demonstrations are. None
of them can be considered definitive with the high standard required to
prove new physics.

Even if his experiments were introductory physics experiments demonstrating
well know physics from the 19th century I would not be completely happy on
how the data was acquired and analyzed. Let alone proving new physics.

So given what we have, putting the demonstration in a context is essential.
If the context told us about a credible, reliable scientist or engineer
with a long string of achievements and innovations, with academic honors or
successful commercial applications of his inventions, then the context
would have helped tremendously in accepting or at least in having a much
more open minded attitude towards the claims of a novel and world changing
physics.

BUT ...instead the context tells us of a shady character with many criminal
convictions for money embezzlement, fraudulent bankrupt, somebody that
polluted the environment without worrying for the safety of others,
somebody that has as his scientific qualifications a fake degree from a
diploma mill, somebody that trafficked in gold and silver to do money
laundry for the mafia, somebody that already promised innovative technology
and never delivered what was promised, and so on....
It is not ONE THING: it is several, all fitting together in a puzzle that
shows a clear picture.

Yes, maybe every single piece (even if damning enough for most
professionals) taken by itself should not be enough to dismiss Rossi, but
when you take all these things together, plus his present behavior (and not
just the past) and the amazing and history changing claims then any sane
person should look at this story and being as much as careful as possible
if not defensive and skeptical by default.

It is Rossi duty to show he is not playing with people hope and desire. In
fact, I say that given what as promised he should metaphorically punished
(if it is not possible to punish him legally in some way) by the world
community if this would be proven to be indeed a scam.

Giovanni