On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Mark Iverson-ZeroPoint
<zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:
> No, Mary, the endless repetition from the same person of the same old thing
> is what annoys me. In one of your posts, where you interspersed your
> comments with the other person’s, I counted 4 or 5 instances where you
> repeated the same basic point, but 5 different ways.  Yeah, we get it, ok?

Fine.  But apparently a lot of people don't get it because they keep
assuming Rossi is necessarily or most likely telling the truth.  My
point was that you have no problems with their repetition.

> Due to your limited experience with this forum, and contrary to what you
> have suggested, in many instances this forum HAS HELPED to bring to light
> the problems or errors made by people making extraordinary claims

I don't recall making any criticism of the forum as a whole.

> anything but a mutual admiration, or ‘true believers’ society.  Most of the
> regulars have an extensive amount of time invested in technology careers,
> and then have spent a lot of their spare time researching and even
> experimenting with unconventional things.  The fact that many Vorts feel
> there is enough evidence to warrant govt funding of LENR research is NOT
> because they ‘believe’ it; it’s because they have read the papers and
> discussed the possibilities, talked to the scientists, attended conferences,
> and MADE UP THEIR OWN MIND that there is a reasonable chance that SOMETHING
> unusual is happening which needs further, dedicated effort.

I have no problem with funding LENR research using normal and
equitable criteria for deciding what gets funded from proposals.

> How many LENR papers have you read?
> How many conferences have you attended?
> How many scientists have you emailed?

If the question isn't simply rhetorical, the answer is "some" and it
was not encouraging.  Well, I'd better correct that to reflect that I
have not attended any LENR conferences.  LENR papers seem to be
written mainly for other LENR researchers and as such are hard and
tedious, for the most part, for others to read.  I read a few
recommended by Jed Rothwell and others and found some promising but
the work seemed not to have been replicated even though it took place
some years back.  I found other work to be reported in an extremely
opaque manner with hard to interpret charts, tables and even
conclusions and sometimes inadequate reporting of materials and
methods.  It would be nice if the various LENR researchers would work
together instead of competing for some presumed billions of dollars at
the end of the rainbow.  It would be nice if they produced clear and
informative reports.  That's just a casual view.  I have not made a
study of the field and do not plan to.  I know very little about
nuclear physics and never claimed to know much about it.  My interest
in Rossi is due to his robust and extravagant claims as well as his
unusual methods of testing and demonstrating and his strangeness.

I am not criticizing Rossi's claims because they are LENR or cold
fusion.  I know how to perform the type of calorimetry needed to
evaluate Rossi's device and what Rossi has done is bad calorimetry.  I
know scams and Rossi acts in every way like a classical investor
scammer.

> Now, if you want to label those of us with that opinion as ‘true believers’,
> be my guest, but we have done more to educate ourselves about the material
> than you or Cude combined.

Perhaps so but in some cases, it doesn't seem to have helped much.

> For some reason you think that it’s a major catastrophe if some newbie on
> this forum happens to see a supportive post, and goes away with a,
> god-forbid, positive impression of LENR/Rossi/DGT!  Its bordering on a
> pathological sense that it’s your duty to make sure that doesn’t happen…
> that’s fine too, and it is your right to try to save people from their own
> ignorance or stupidity, if that’s the way you enjoy spending your free time,
> but I for one would graciously request that you do it on some other forum!

No worries.  I am getting bored with Rossi.  Unless and until he does
another dog and pony show, I will be paying him less attention.