No, don't have access to a workshop at the moment (I'm on wrong side of the
planet).  Besides which I get the feeling that it is very very difficult to
do material processing and calorimetry to the standards required to
actually learn anything without access to a good materials lab and a
well equipped calorimetry station.

I do have recent experience of small scale high pressure hot hydrogen
systems (200bar 800°C Stirling engines) which is why I am so wary.  The
test fixtures and instrumentation were expensive and needed a lot of
attention to detail, it is a tricky field for casual amateurs to work in
and does not reward risk takers or improvised fixes.