Cosmic ray triggers have been discussed since early on as cold fusion triggers. This is not a novel idea. I have even suggested this myself. See page 2 ff of:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/BoseHyp.pdf

Page 4 and 9 of:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/PartOrb.pdf

Page 18 and 25 of:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/CFnuclearReactions.pdf

my similar comments earlier:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg58166.html

The following post made last January in regard to Rossi may be of interest.

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg41599.html

As Robin states, the problem is the reaction mechanism after the triggering. A huge number of nuclear reactions per cosmic ray have to occur.

A typical muon secondary can be expected to produce only about 30 fusions (i.e. that is about the number expected in pure liquid deuterium.)

The problem with the triggering idea is the number of cosmic rays required to trigger enough reactions to produce measurable heat (unless of course an extensive chain reaction is involved.) Suppose 1 watt of heat is produced, and the reaction involved releases on the order of 10 MeV energy (it is probably way less if it is a Ni transmutaion.) Each second a J of energy has to be produced. A J is 6.24x10^18 eV, or 6.24x10^12 MeV. At 10 MeV per reaction, that is 6.24x10^11 reactions, requiring 6.24x10^11/30 = 2.08x10^10 muons for that second. That is a way above background. Alternatively, at 1 cosmic ray per second in a small area, the cosimic ray would have to produce about 10^10 reactions to produce the 1 watt. Rossi's small 4 kW reactors would have a cross section with only about 100 muons per second. To produce Rossi's 4 kW then would require about 40 * 2.08x10^10 = 8x10^11 reactions per second, each and every second. This is not a viable explanation.

However, as I noted here in an above reference post, if energetic alphas or betas can trigger even small reaction chains, then doping a lattice with radioactive material, e.g. 137Cs (beta), or 241Am (alpha), can have a signifiant effect.

On a related note, following is a post I made in 2009, which points out that cosmic ray muons may trigger much larger amounts of fusions than what was measured for pure liquid hydrogen (i.e. about 30 per muon, as measured by Jones et al.) This implies perhaps some muon studies should be conducted with appropriately loaded lattices. There are other Rossi related tidbits too.

NAS, hot spots, and electromigration

I have noticed a surprising similarity between infra-red photos of loaded cathodes showing small hot spots and my observations of clearly visible bright spots on high voltage anodes in electrospark or electroluminescence experiments. For example, one similarity that was surprising to me is the tendency for such spots to be located interior to the edges of plate electrodes. Before gaining some experience, I thought the edges, having higher field intensities, would have more hot spots.

Looking at former sites of electrospark anode hot spots under a microscope, on dried anodes post run, I noticed they were indentations, small holes in the somewhat dull anodized surface, with highly reflective interior surfaces. Again, it may seem surprising such holes tended to reside away from the anode edges - unless one considers the anodization process tends to produce thinner anodization away from the edges. Thinner pacification layers means easier layer penetration, easier formation of low resistance short circuits between the anode interior and the electrolyte. This is exactly what the hot spots appeared to be, small short circuited wells in a partially insulating surface.

Once an anode hot spot was initiated, it tended to flash or periodically glow when operated at just above the anodization voltage. I think this was probably due to bubble formation and release and periodic thin anodizations followed by breakdowns. When operated at the elevated voltage the electrospark spots diminished, probably due to anodization. However, when the voltage was pushed substantially, say doubled, all the previously existing glow spots would reappear. When foil electrodes were used, the hot spots would deepen all the way through the foil and then expand radially, eventually consuming large amounts of foil.

Higher intensity glow spots can also be observed on both anodes and cathodes when operated in low voltage luminescence experiments on aluminum or tantalum electrodes operated in oxygen rich electrolytes, e.g. hydrogen peroxide containing electrolytes.

All this may seem irrelevant, but perhaps there is some significance to all this in regards to NAS formation. Perhaps the NAS, at least in some cases, is not strictly a localized lattice state, but rather a location of unusually high current density. Such high current density spots may take a while to form because the bulk of the electrode surface must first be insulated before holes in this insulation can provide the high current density spots. As I have noted here recently, achieving a minimum current density has been identified as necessary to fusion initiation in a number of types of experiments.

Celani's note that R/R0 increases at an anomalous rate when direct current is flowing indicates to me the possibility that increasing the temperature increasingly disrupts the conduction bands, thereby forcing an electron flow increasingly into the vicinity of the adsorbed hydrogen. If true, this increases the probability of the deflated state. More importantly, increased resistance means a higher internal electric field for a given current density, which means a higher tunneling rate vs ordinary diffusion rate. The effect of the lattice local electric field, i.e. the effect of net energy gained from tunneling, is exponential on the tunneling rate. This to me indicates some important approaches:

1. Use a higher resistance lattice material. This permits a higher internal electrostatic field for a given amount of Joule heating, and thus a higher hydrogen tunneling rate.

2. Operate in pulsed current mode. This permits the current to be driven by a much higher voltage, and thus to achieve a higher internal field per the amount of Joule heating. It permits driving the lattice at a higher maximum current density without destroying the lattice due to Joule heating. Various experiments have shown excess heat being related to achieving a threshold current density - and I think the reason for this is that the local electric field has to be above some minimum value (for a given lattice type) before tunneling the required distances becomes likely.

3. Use a lattice material that is highly permeable at some feasible high loading temperature, but which locks hydrogen in place at a somewhat lower temperature, i.e. prevents ordinary diffusion but, at the right temperature and internal field strength, permits electro- migration.

4. As has been done in some experiments, imbed in the lattice material numerous appropriate layers or particles which impede ordinary diffusion and increase tunneling based electromigration.

5. Design lattice material mixes which provide narrow channels of high conductivity and diffusion, but which also provide a high overall heat conductivity and strength that protects the lattice structure. The imbedding of low conductivity low diffusion rate granules permits a higher overall resistance and thus formation of high internal fields to support electromigration. Much engineering is required to achieve all this plus uniform expansion rates that avoid fracturing.

I think a high tunneling rate (not just high hopping rate) environment combined with a high loading factor are critical to achieving large excess heat. Operating in a high temperature environment helps this by varying the instantaneous tunneling distances away from the mean, and since the probability of a tunneling event is exponentially related to the distance, heat can do this with great effect if the lattice is in a threshold state. However, in Pd and various other hydrogen adsorbing metals at high temperatures the tunneling based migration is very low compared to the ordinary diffusion migration. One way to improve this situation is to provide many thin barriers in the electromigration path that require hydrogen tunneling to enable diffusion, and which create large local internal fields. This kind of layered electromigration approach is illustrated simplistically in Fig. 2, Page 15 of:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/DeflationFusionExp.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/cef4pu

though creating a uniform high density mix of close nano-sized chunks of diffusion supporting lattice material may be more effective.

Of possible separate interest is that, if a significant volume of lattice is in a threshold state, fusion for that volume might be triggered by a cosmic ray event, especially a muon event, by suddenly raising the temperature and pressure in a highly localized region. In other words, in some conditions, the number of fusions triggered by a muon may far exceed those in which the muon is directly involved. This could give the impression of much larger NAS and a much smaller density of NAS than is correct. It could also significantly change the energy break even point for muon creation. The effectiveness of muon catalysis is often investigated in pure hydrogen environments, not numerous and varied loaded lattice environments.