From: mix...@bigpond.com [mailto:mix...@bigpond.com]
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 1:13 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Use magnetic fld to enhance effective mass of e-

-0800:
Hi Mark,
[snip]

Horace's calculation has nothing to do with alignment of magnetic fields in
clusters, which can't produce such huge fields anyway. (Consider that in an
ordinary magnet many (most?) of the atomic fields are aligned, and the total
field is pitiful by comparison to what would be needed.)

>Robin:
>
>If one looks at it macroscopically, then your criticism is
>understandable, however, one must keep in mind the environment of the H
>or D loaded lattice at the dimensions of a few atoms.  When you get ALL
>magnetic domains aligned in a small region (a few 10s, 100s of atoms),
>magnetic fields can become quite large...
>
>I'm not sure if this is relevant either, but here is what Horace
>calculated in his model:
>
>"If you look at the spreadsheet I provided in 2007, you will see the
>magnetic field of the electron on the deuteron in the D+e deflated
>state is given as 4.0210e+14 Tesla."
>
>That's about 6 orders of magnitude greater than your 225e6.

I haven't checked Horace's calculation, but let's take it at face value.

1) That doesn't necessarily mean that such an orbital is possible.
2) It is a far cry from the intent of the original author that you quoted,
who proposed applying an external magnetic field.

This is becoming a form of circular reasoning:

If we had a strong field we could force the electron into a tight orbital
that would then produce a strong magnetic field.....

Perhaps the Lenz effect means that what one is actually calculating may be
the degree to which the electron fights the field, i.e. the field strength
one would need to enforce to ensure that the electron remained in the
orbital?
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk