At a minimum a replaceable cartridge needs to have an additional supply of
hydrogen - and that means a sealable connection (not something you would
necessarily trust a muppet consumer with - a lot of people don't even know
how to tighten a nut.  Also if we are to believe recent speculation about
RF excitation that that would need to be delivered to the inside of the
cartridge somehow.

My speculation is that it is just the addition of an extra dose of powder
through a sealable port into an oversized reaction chamber - the old powder
may be somewhat inert but the new powder's activity isn't hampered by the
presence of the old.