On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Mary Yugo <maryyu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes it's speculation.  But taking the totality of the evidence and
> putting Defkalion and Ampenergo into the equation, it just isn't the
> way a true development of practical, powerful, LENR fusion reactors
> would go.  None of it makes the slightest sense.  Not the delays in
> getting university or any independent confirmation, not the failure to
> change to better measurement methods for demos, not the anonymous
> client, not the same client buying 12 more collections of 50 crummy
> looking sloppily assembled reactors, not inviting all the reporters
> and scientists for the Big Reveal of the megawatt plant and then
> keeping them behind a barrier so they could see nothing, not the
> constant barrage of unlikely developments and claims like a self
> destruct mechanism as the only IP protection, not the rest of the
> weird responses from a silly blog with an improbable name, not that
> most of the support comes from the likes of Sterling Allan, Paul Story
> and Craig Brown who wouldn't know a scientific principle or method if
> it bit them in the butt -- NONE of it makes the SLIGHTEST sense and
> after an entire year, nothing promising has developed.
>
> Let me know if it ever does.

I'm with you on all of these points, Mary.  It doesn't make any sense to
me, either.  Your summary reminds me of the final denouement in "The Usual
Suspects," where the detective starts looking at the items on the wall
after Verbal Kint has left his office and starts piecing together the
details.

Being the incurable optimist that I am, however, I reserve the right to be
pleasantly surprised.  There's an excellent book by Paul Feyerabend called
"Against Method."  After reading that book, I've gained a healthy
detachment from all kinds of pronouncements about how science is supposed
to proceed.  By Feyerabend's reading, Galileo was a pretty flamboyant
character as well.