Not sure where you are going with this - but the simple explanation of all
is it cannot happen, due to conservation of spin.

Two half-spin fermions cannot fuse to form a half-spin neutron. Otherwise
hydrogen would be unstable and spontaneously form neutrons.

                From: David Roberson

                I have a question that has bugged me for quite some time now
and maybe one of you would humor me with a simple explanation.

                Do we have to consider the total energy required for a P + e
to become a N to have to arise out of a non active material?

Oh sure - if you have a relativistic beam line with which to arbitrarily
convert energy into mass of any variety, such as creating a neutrino to
carry away the extra spin - then you can do it; but the energy balance is so
lop-sided that it is irrelevant for practical purposes.

Once again, Widom Larsen theory is brain dead from start to finish.

Jones