No one disputes that coal fired plants kill far more people than nuclear
power, even taking into account casualties from uranium mining pollution.

Anyone who believes that global warming is real will certainly agree that
nuclear power is safer even factoring the Chernobyl and Fukushima
accidents. I think alternative energy such as wind and solar would be more
cost-effective and much safer. Unfortunately Japan does not have
significant wind resources, and not much potential solar power either.

Putting aside the long term perspective, nuclear power is uniquely
disastrous from an economic and business point of view. No other source of
energy could conceivably cause so much damage in a single accident, or cost
even a small fraction as much money. As I said, this accident bankrupted
the world's largest power company and effectively destroyed the houses,
towns, bridges and livelihood of  90,000 to 150,000 people in 5,000 square
miles of land.

(It turns out 90,000 people were ordered out by the government but 60,000
others left on their own after they and their local governments detected
radiation far above natural background. TEPCO and the government say they
will not pay compensation to these 60,000 people, even though no one
disputes their land now has lethal levels of radioactivity.)

If TEPCO had known this might happen I seriously doubt they would've built
any nuclear power reactors. No corporate executive would risk the
destruction of the entire company in a single accident. It reminds me of
Churchill's description of  World War I Adm. Jellicoe as "the only man on
either side who could lose the war in an afternoon."

People say that no one was killed. I expect many of the young workers will
prematurely die of cancer in the next 20 or 30 years. But assuming for the
sake of argument that no one was killed the situation is still
unprecedented. Consider this:

The U.S. commercial airline fleet consists of 7185 airplanes. That includes
"3,739 mainline passenger aircraft (over 90 seats) . . . 879 mainline cargo
aircraft (including those operated by FedEx and UPS) and 2,567 regional
aircraft jets/turboprops." I believe the average replacement cost of the
big mainline ones is around $150 million per aircraft.

http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/faa-us-commercial-aircraft-fleet-shrank-2011-0312

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/prices/

Okay imagine that in the middle of one night, when these airplanes are
parked with no one aboard, all 4,615 of the big passenger and freight
airplanes suffer fuel leaks and are destroyed by fire. No one is hurt, but
the entire fleet is destroyed. The replacement cost of the equipment would
be ~$692 billion, which is roughly how much the Fukushima disaster will
cost. Do you think that Boeing, Airbus or any airline would survive this?
Do you think any insurance company would? I don't.

As it happens, this incident did not destroy the Japanese insurance
industry. That is because no nuclear power plant in the world is covered by
private insurance. When nuclear power was invented, the insurance companies
took a close look and decided it was too risky and they would never cover
it. From the very beginning of nuclear power this risk has been assumed by
national governments only. So the Japanese government and TEPCO customers
are on the hook for this. Obviously, no power company can pay for an
accident that costs ten times their entire annual revenue!

TEPCO's earnings are here:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/corpinfo/ir/tool/annual/pdf/2011/ar201101-e.pdf

5065 billion yen = $62 billion

Jones Beene and others have correctly pointed out that coal-fired plants
generally spew far more radioactive material into the environment than
nuclear power plants do. This is common knowledge. No one disputes it.
However, the Fukushima plant probably put out more radioactive materials
than all coal fired plants in history have, and I am sure the Chernobyl
reactor did. Here is one description of the radioactive material at a
location 40 km from the Fukushima reactors, a year after the accident, long
after short lived isotopes were gone:

"Outside the Iitate community hall, the radiation dosimeter carried by one
of my travelling
companions to measure external radiation reads 13.26 microsieverts per hour
-- a level
around one hundred times natural background radiation. When he holds his
dosimeter over
the drainage culvert in front of the hall, it stops working altogether --
the radiation level has
gone off the scale. One of the things that you quickly learn in a place
like Iitate is that levels
of radiation can vary enormously within a relatively small area. Iitate has
the misfortune to
lie in a spot where the winds from the coast meet the mountains, and
quickly became a
radiation hotspot due to precipitation. Its inhabitants are among the
150,000 people who
evacuated from the area affected by the nuclear accident, and have no idea
when they will
be able to return home."

http://www.greenpeace.org/switzerland/Global/switzerland/de/publication/Nuclear/Lessons%20Learned%20from%20Fukushima%20final%20text.pdf

You know darn well that such high levels of radioactivity spread over such
a large area are bound to cause health problems in the years to come. Look
at what happened to U.S. communities exposed to aboveground bomb tests.

As I mentioned, the government sent Mizuno a soil sample taken many
kilometers from the plant. He found it was so radioactive he was afraid to
work with it and did not know where to store it. Mizuno is usually blasé
about radioactivity.