Bruno Santos <besantos1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The japanese government must be held responsible for the disaster as much
> as TEPCO.

It is a little difficult to know what you can do to a government. Vote them
out of office? The people who authorized this plant retired and died long
ago.

> Accidents happen, but this was no accident. This was people making bad
> judgements on safety issues that they knew were wrong.

I doubt that. They are not fools. Generally speaking, power company
officials and engineers are risk adverse.

One commentator in Japan remarked that  after any major industrial
accident, if you go into the files of the plant, you will find someone at
sometime did a study and warned this might occur. It does not matter what
happens; someone anticipated it. They're supposed to think about every
possible scenario. That's their job. In this case someone made careful
studies of tsunamis in local history and determined that a large one might
come. It turned out this person was right.

The problem is, if you were to take action against every accident scenario
suggested by every engineer, no power plant would ever be built or allowed
to operate anywhere. That is more or less the situation they have now got
themselves into, with 50 out of 52 remaining nuclear power reactors turned
off. Local citizens and government regulators are now demanding such
impossibly high standards of safety that I doubt more than a handful of
these reactors will be turned on again. This is bad. At present Japan does
not have clean energy replacements for these reactors, so they are burning
a great deal more coal and natural gas, and they're having severe shortages
of electricity.

It would make more sense to implement some immediate short-term fixes such
as higher seawalls, and then put in place a 20 or 30-year phaseout of
nuclear power. They should live with the risks of another accident for 20
years. It is an unfortunate necessity, better than the alternatives.