Thanks, Ron, for providing this link.  I'm pretty excited.

Here's the abstract from Science:

Tunneling of electrons through a potential barrier is fundamental to
chemical reactions, electronic transport in semiconductors and
superconductors, magnetism, and devices such as THz-oscillators. While
typically controlled by electric fields, a completely different approach is
to bind electrons into bosonic quasiparticles with a photonic component.
Quasiparticles made of such light-matter microcavity polaritons have
recently been demonstrated to Bose-condense into superfluids, whereas
spatially separated Coulomb-bound electrons and holes possess strong dipole
interactions. Using tunneling polaritons, we connect these two realms,
producing bosonic quasiparticles with static dipole moments. Our resulting
three-state system yields dark polaritons analogous to those in atomic
systems or optical waveguides offering new possibilities for
electromagnetically induced transparency, room-temperature condensation,
and adiabatic photonic to electronic transfer.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2012/04/05/science.1219010.abstract

Some interesting points: the new particle is a boson rather than a fermion,
and there is the possibility of adiabatic photonic to electronic transfer
(for those, like me, who find the language unfamiliar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process).

My initial guess is that free electrons in the "electron soup" that
were disassociated from H2 when it entered the metal lattice are combining
by way of an intermediate process with the free protons that were split
off.  You need a flux of hydrogen in order to make free electrons and
protons available for the intermediate process.  Regarding inverse beta
decay, also called electron capture, Wikipedia says, "note that a free
proton cannot normally be changed to a free neutron by this process: The
proton and neutron must be part of a larger nucleus."  So the hypothesis
being developed here would appear to be at variance with that statement.

My apologies for the slurry of newbie physics emails.  Anyone who knows
this stuff at a much deeper level is very welcome to comment on anything
that would be manifestly impossible (not just unlikely) about any of these
points.  Some questions I have: in electron capture, a neutrino or a
positron is involved; also, there's an X-ray and sometimes a gamma ray --
how would any of these details need to be modified by the scheme being
proposed here?  And what about the quantum numbers makes it difficult for
an electron to combine with a proton in the first place?  Does it have to
do with their spin?

Eric