I suspect the requirement for the 45 MW LENR systems originally came from
the US Navy to power their aircraft carrier based drones. Military aircraft
always precede commercial aircraft development.

As background, the U.S. Navy's pursuit of drones is recognition of the need
for new weapons and strategies to deal not only with China but a changing
military landscape generally.

"Carrier-based unmanned aircraft systems have tremendous potential,
especially in increasing the range and persistence of our intelligence,
surveillance and reconnaissance operations, as well as our ability to
strike targets quickly," Van Buskirk said at the 7th Fleet's headquarters
in Yokosuka, Japan.

His fleet boasts one carrier – the USS George Washington – along with about
60 other ships and 40,000 sailors and Marines.

Experts say the drones could be used on any of the 11 U.S. carriers
worldwide and are not being developed exclusively as a counterbalance to
China.

But China's reported progress in missile development appears to make the
need for them more urgent.

The DF 21D "carrier killer" missile is designed for launch from land with
enough accuracy to hit a moving aircraft carrier at a distance of more than
900 miles (1,500 kilometers). Though still unproven – and some analysts say
overrated – no other country has such a weapon.

Current Navy fighter jets can only operate about 500 nautical miles (900
kilometers) from a target, leaving a carrier within range of the Chinese
missile.

Current Drone designs would have an unrefueled combat radius of 1,500
nautical miles (2,780 kilometers) and could remain airborne for 50 to 100
hours – versus the 10 hour maximum for a pilot, according to a 2008 paper
by analysts Tom Ehrhard and Robert Work at the Center for Strategic and
Budgetary Assessments. Work is now an undersecretary of the Navy.

A LENR Drone could be launched from anywhere outside of Chinese missile
range and stay airborne indefinably without refueling capability; and
expensive and incontinent necessity in a combated environment.

"Introducing a new aircraft that promises to let the strike group do its
work from beyond the maximum effective firing range of the anti-ship
ballistic missile – or beyond its range entirely – represents a
considerable boost in defensive potential for the carrier strike group,"
said James Holmes of the U.S. Naval War College.

Northrop Grumman has a six-year, $635.8 million contract to develop two of
the planes, with more acquisitions expected if they work. A prototype of
its X-47B took a maiden 29-minute flight in February at Edwards Air Force
Base in California. Initial testing on carriers is planned for 2013.

Coincidently…or not, Northrop Grumman was the lead contractor involved in a
recent nuclear Drone study.

Other makers including Boeing and Lockheed are also in the game. General
Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. – the maker of the Predator drones used
in the Afghan war – carried out wind tunnel tests in February. Spokeswoman
Kimberly Kasitz said it was too early to divulge further details.

Some experts warn carrier-based drones are still untested and stress that
Chinese advances have not rendered carriers obsolete.

"Drones, if they work, are just the next tech leap. As long as there is a
need for tactical aviation launched from the sea, carriers will be useful
weapons of war," said Michael McDevitt, a former commandant of the National
War College in Washington, D.C., and a retired rear admiral whose commands
included an aircraft carrier battle group.

Some analysts also note that China may be reluctant to instigate any
fighting that could interfere with its trade.

Nan Li, an expert at the U.S. Naval War College's China Maritime Studies
Institute, doubts China would try to attack a U.S. carrier.

"I am a skeptic of such an interpretation of Chinese strategy," he said.
"But I do think the X-47B may still be a useful preventive capability for
worst-case scenarios."

The Air Force and Navy both sponsored a project to develop carrier-based
drones in the early 2000s, but the Air Force pulled out in 2005, leaving
the Navy to fund the research.

Adm. Gary Roughhead, chief of naval operations, said last summer that the
current goal of getting a handful of unmanned bombers in action by 2018 is
"too damn slow."

"Seriously, we've got to have a sense of urgency about getting this stuff
out there," he told a conference. "It could fundamentally change how we
think of naval aviation."

True, LENR will remake naval air warfare.