*It isn't clear to me why a cooper pair of protons would be of nuclear
dimensions, nor why they would be able to surmount the Coulomb barrier.*

Essentially, there exists no Coulomb barrier at the point of charge
concentration if that concentration is dense enough.

These days, I am interested in concentration of electron charge in a small
volume. This is how the Chin reaction works. Rossi’s reaction is inferior
in my opinion as hard to control.

In the Chin reaction, this negative electric charge concentration on a nano
tube will induce a large number of positive charge holes of equal by
opposite charge.

Now See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric-field_screening

*Electric-field screening*

The main point here is that as long as there are many positive ions between
two positive charges; say a proton and a nucleus, their interaction is *
screened* strongly, simply because these many positive charge carriers can
terminate electric field lines. So a free ion attracts ions of opposite
sign, making a little `counter ion cloud' which neutralizes its charge, and
therefore by Gauss's law, basically eliminates the electric field.

The size of this `cloud' is roughly the screening length yD, the parameter
that determines when the exponential `cuts off' the Coulomb interaction in
U(r). A useful formula for yD is due to Debye, which comes from a certain
relatively-easy-to-solve limiting case of interaction of charges with free
ions present where the sum over j is over *all* the ions, and where j
counts the number of ions. As you can see, as you add more and more positve
charges, because the induced charges enter squared, the screening length
goes down, down, down.

See the function for the Debye-Hückel length

where Zj = Qj/C is the integer charge
number<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_number>that relates the
charge on the j-th
ionic species to the elementary
charge<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_charge>
.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debye_length

*Debye length*******
**

This formula is often called the *Debye screening length*, and provides a
good first estimate of the distance beyond which Coulomb interactions can
be essentially ignored, as well as the size of the region near a point
charge where opposite-charge counter ions can be found.