Lowering of the coulomb barrier is far from an all or nothing situation.
There is a fine grained gradation of the reaction that is reflected in
increasing probability of tunneling as the coulomb barrier is progressively
reduced.

As more screening charge is gradually increased and packed around the
immediate neighborhood of a nucleus, the coulomb barrier that protects that
nucleus is gradually reduced.

And competing theories of cold fusion causation must explain how the
reaction is gradual and controllable.

Charge concentration provides a monotonically increasing counter screening
charge reaction that opposes the positive charge of the coulomb barrier.

The reports from successful cold fusion reactor builders who post here at
vortex which tell us that they can control the power output of their
reactors  by simply adjusting the input power feed to the spark plug is
understandable. That interesting factoid tells me that the cold fusion
reaction is a result of (gradual, controllable, adjustable) screening
charge accumulation.

Cheers:  Axil